Re: fglrx: drop-down menus taking a long time to render

Jack Saunders wrote:

> Reversing the KDE upgrade is going to be a bit of a monumental task, so I
> won't go down that route. Debian are doing an archive upgrade on their
> servers today so that puts the kybosh on it in any case.
>
> What I did do last night is install the Gnome desktop from the current repo.
> This went without a hitch and am now back inside the system. The slow video
> problems are no longer there - so the finger is now firmly pointed at
> something in the KDE setup, rather than a video driver problem as such.
>
> It really looks as if the the KDE version for Wheezy is broken for the
> moment. I downloaded a snapshot originally, so this may have been a dodgy
> version. In the next few days I'll try a fresh install of the KDE vesrion
> and see how that looks.
>
> In the meantime I like what I'm seeing in the Gnome version of Wheezy - fast
> and solid. Ubuntu Oneiric has major problems in getting the Gnome 3 desktop
> working alongside Unity. They would have been far better off sticking with
> Gnome 2 as Debian have done.
>
> Only one minor problem with the Brother scanner driver not getting
> recognised. I've contacted Brother support and their Linux support people
> are investigating this.

Thanks for the update.  It does sound like something in the KDE setup
(kwin?) was tickling the driver the wrong way.  I'm cc-ing the Debian
KDE maintainers in case they have a live CD you can test, but
otherwise I don't see how to proceed in easily tracking this down
further. :/

Hence closing the bug.  Please don't hesitate to write once you are
able to make it happen again.