Re: odbc-postgresql: can't be installed together with KDE any more

reassign 639300 soprano
retitle 639300 please build against unixodbc-dev instead of libiodbc2-dev
thanks

Hi folks,

This week with Christoph Berg's help, unixodbc has been converted for
multiarch in unstable along with the common drivers: libmyodbc, tdsodbc, and
odbc-postgresql.  The converted drivers are now all installed in
/usr/lib/<arch>/odbc, and the /etc/odbcinst.ini config has been updated to
use relative paths instead of absolute ones.

libiodbc2, which has been orphaned for nearly three years, has *not* been
updated for multiarch, and so libiodbc will fail to locate these drivers on
disk.  As a result, these drivers declare a Breaks: against libiodbc2.

I do not intend to update libiodbc2 for multiarch.  Instead, I would like to
propose its removal from the archive.  Historically, we have carried both
unixodbc and libiodbc2 in the archive to avoid a circular build-dependency:
Qt build-depends on ODBC for its database support, and UnixODBC
build-depends on Qt for its GUI tools.  The most recent upstream version of
UnixODBC resolves this, because in addition to being updated for Qt4, the
latest upstream release also splits the GUI tools into a separate source
distribution, which I have just uploaded to unstable.

So I am reassigning this bug to soprano.  KDE maintainers, please switch
soprano to build against unixodbc-dev instead of libiodbc2-dev.

(I will file separate bugs against the other reverse-dependencies, but for
soprano someone has beaten me to it.)

Thanks,