Re: binary packages with explicit python2.5 build dependency

Hello,

On pirmadienis 27 Rugsėjis 2010 00:37:46 Matthias Klose wrote:
> On 26.09.2010 23:04, Modestas Vainius wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On sekmadienis 26 Rugsėjis 2010 23:18:47 Matthias Klose wrote:
> >> Sent to you as a package maintainer or an uploader for one
> >> of the packages mentioned at
> >>
> >>    http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2010/09/msg01832.html
> >>
> >> At least one of the binary packages built by these source packages
> >> ends up with a dependency, recommendation or suggestion on python2.5
> >> without having an explicit build dependency on python2.5 or
> >> python2.5-dev.
> >>
> >> Please fix this without reintroducing explicit build depedencies on
> >> python2.5 or python2.5-dev, if possible.
> >
> > kdebindings depends on python-all-dev and hence python-kde4 pulls in
> > python2.5 via dpkg-shlibdeps. That's because python-kde4 contains
> > bindings for both python2.5 and python2.6 at the moment. However,
> > everything should be binNMUable so when python2.5 is gone, our Suggests
> > should be gone after binNMU too. I don't see a problem here, it's only
> > suggests anyway.
>
> yes, it's the only package suggesting 2.5. is this really needed? no other
> python module adds a suggests for this. why kdebindings?  If an extension
> pulls in the dependency on python.2.5, then this is a bug which should be
> resolved.

kde bindings for python 2.5 pull them in [1]. What dev package (instead of
python-all-dev) do you suggest to build depend upon in order to avoid that
python 2.5 dependency? python-dev? Then what's the use of that python-all-dev
package anyway?

1. http://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/python-kde4/filelist

--
Modestas Vainius <modax@debian.org>