Re: [kdebingings] Forgotten commits.

[Please CC me, I'm not on the list]

  Hello,

Modestas Vainius wrote:
> 2009 m. Sausis 29 d., ketvirtadienis, Vincent Fourmond rašė:
>>   Yes... But, please, fix the Vcs-field then, and don't change the
>> position of the Vcs directory...
> We had a good reason to change repository URL. And that repository URL is not
> final yet hence it is not changed in the packaging.

  ??

  The kdebindings package version 4:4.2.0-1 was uploaded with a Vcs field of

svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-kde/branches/kde4/packages/kdebindings

  However, the packaging was done there:

svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-kde/branches/kde4.2/packages/kdebindings

  That does not make any sense. What's the point of having a Vcs field
if it does not point to the place where the last changes were made
before the upload ? If you don't want to publicise a Vcs URL, then,
please, remove it from the control file.

>> How am I supposed to know that when I
>> do svn update, I don't get the newest version since the repository has
>> changed URL ?
> A simple check of svn repository via web interface would have revealed this.
> You obviously noticed that something was wrong. What is more, all this stuff
> is experimental.

  Well, come on... Why are there features like branching and tagging
incorporated into svn and the like if I need to follow the whole
repository to see that development is not going on any more in
.../kde4/... but in .../kde4.2/... ?

  Why don't you use a, say, kde4-trunk directory that you tag (and
possibly branch) whenever it is necessary ? That directory would then
*always* hold the latest stuff. Is there a compelling reason why this
should not be done within the frame of the qt-kde team -- or at least of
kde4 packaging ?

>>   Shouldn't we have a "trunk" directory, with always the most recent
>> version, with systematic taggings for uploads and branching from the tag
>> when that becomes necessary ?
> KDE 4 will become trunk when lenny is released.

  Hmmm... I said "a" trunk, not "the" trunk directory. Nothing prevents
you from doing the *experimental* development of kde4 in *only one* URL,
no ? Or there are several branches for kde4 that need to be maintained
at the same time ?

> Until then, there is no reason to play ping pong with Vcs fields.

  I already mentioned it: if the Vcs field of a given pair
package/version does not point where it's development was made, there's
no point having one.

  Cheers,

	Vincent

--
Vincent Fourmond, Debian Developer
http://vince-debian.blogspot.com/

Some pirates achieved immortality by great deeds of cruelty
and derring-do. Some achieved immortality by amassing great
wealth. But the captain had long ago decided that he would,
on the whole, prefer to achieve immortality by not dying.
 -- Terry Pratchet, the Colour of Magic

Vincent, listening to See the Sun (Dido)