KLaptop, kernel 2.6.25 and Bug #490686

Hi,

I'm writing to ask:
  1.) why support for /proc/acpi has been disabled in the 2.6.25 kernel,
  2.) if the KLaptop daemon (3.5.9) will be ported to the new sysfs interface and
  3.) if there's anything an end-user (like me) can do to make sure KDE has functional power management when it ships with Debian Lenny next September.

Question #1
======== ==

I'm having a very difficult time understanding why support for /proc/acpi has been disabled. In the past, HAL would detect two batteries if both the SYSFS and PROCFS power options were set in the kernel [1], but that is no longer a problem [2].

I know that /proc/acpi is deprecated in favor of the sysfs interface [3][4], but does that mean /proc/acpi should never be used? Or does that simply mean that the sysfs interface is better?

If the former, then what is so bad about /proc/acpi? What dangers does it pose? If the latter, then why not ship the kernel for Debian Lenny with support for both interfaces? Why break packages unnecessarily?

Question #2

Given the fact that KLaptop daemon 3.5.9 does not currently work with the sysfs interface, the 2.6.25 kernel -- in which support for /proc/acpi is disabled -- breaks power management in KDE. Will this be fixed in time for Lenny's release or will KDE ship in a broken state?

KPowersave (the KDE alternative to KLaptop) does work with the sysfs interface. Will this be shipped as part of the default KDE desktop in Debian Lenny? (Please say no. I just need a battery monitor and automatic hibernation. I don't feel like sifting through thousands of options buried beneath hundreds of tabs in four different profiles just to accomplish those two tasks).

Question #3

Quite frankly, this issue doesn't affect me. I know how to compile a kernel and I know how to configure KPowersave, but I'd like to recommend Debian with KDE to people who don't know how to do these things, so if there's anything I can do to help, please let me know. I'm not a computer scientist -- so go easy on me -- but if I can help, please let me know.

Thanks,
- Eric