Re: KDE4 building

On Saturday 05 May 2007, Tony Wolf wrote:
> Hi,

Hi!

Thank you for your mail. Most of your questions is already answered on our
homepage (which is not well known yet) on http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/.
My answers here is more or less the same as on that page

> what is the actual planing of packaging KDE4? would it submit to
> experimental in an early version?

We have slowly started working on the alphas - and will continue that over the
next weeks.

> We (a friend and I) like to help building QT4.3 / KDE4 packages for
> Debian. We are both new in building packages and until now we test the
> build-tools with easy to build projects, like cdtools or pure-ftpd.

Most of our day to day communication is held in a irc channel, #debian-qt-kde
on irc.debian.org - along with the pkg-kde-talk@lists.alioth.debian.org
maillist. A good start could be to drop by in the irc channel and say hi and
see what's going on.

The packaging is generally going to be based around cdbs build system added
some self-made stuff - and quilt as patch management system.
The cdbs build system is a bit ... hard to understand at first sight, as it
adds a big layer of "what is going on here?"  -  but once you learn to work
with it, it is actually quite nice to use.

> It seems that it isn't so difficult to build them, but there is a lot
> of writing-work to do.

The difficult parts is to figure out the best way to do it - and maybe do a
few 'bad things' on the way to find the best way.
The only 'writing tasks' is the descriptions for control files - and to make
sure man pages fits the new binaries.

> So how can we start with this?

A couple of nice steps in the beginning could be to gain access to alioth, as
it is where we will put our work and share our work. I think there is
instructions on the "Get involved!" link on the web page.

We have - on alioth - placed updated versions of qt and strigi - and also a
package of 'soprano' - another library needed. Now we are going for
kdelibs, -pimlibs and -base.

But drop by the irc channel - read the last 2 weeks of archives on
pkg-kde-talk http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-kde-talk/ (it is
only around 10 emails) - that is around the best way to start it.
I don't know where you are located, but most of our discussions are in day
time in europe.

 - we are generally friendly towards newcomers, and we also like to have new
people around.

And more questions is of course most welcome.

/Sune

--
Do you know how to install on the hardware of the login?

First from the options within Netscape you have to open the serial forward, so
that therefore you neither can ever cancel a graphic ISDN virus to a clock,
nor can telnet to the FPU over a laser controller.