Re: KDE plans for the lenny cycle

At Friday 13 April 2007 04:00, you wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 10:14:40PM +0200, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> > Heya,
> >
> > The release team is currently working on a schedule for the lenny
> > release cycle. For that, we want to gather some data from the bigger
> > software packaging teams in Debian first.
> >
> > We would like to know which major upstream versions of KDE are
> > expected to be released in the next 24 months and how much time you
> > expect them to need to get stable enough for a Debian stable release.
> >
> > Our current, very rough plans would mean a release in 18 months with some
> > padding in both directions, which would lead to a lenny release around
> > October 2008. We expect to shuffle this a bit around to fit everyone's
> > needs, so please tell us if this date works for you.
> >

> KDE 4.0.0 is planned for October 2007, i guess they will release a maintance
> release (4.0.1?) like 3-4 months later, so counting with some delays, can we
> point we will release Etch with KDE 4.0.1/4.1 or something like this?
>
> Toma, i would like to hear your opinion about this :)

Thanks for asking.

We ( = KDE in this case) are still on track for the 4.0 release in october. If Lenny is released in 24 months, that means ~18 months after that release. It's obvious that 4.0.0 is not the version to release with Lenny. I think there will be a few minor releases quickly to iron out the most urgent problems and I expect a 4.1 release for some bigger changes.

To summarize: I think 3.5.7 will be a great stable and reliable release, we can't say much about KDE4 untill it's out there, but I think it should be possible to get it stable in time for Lenny, I think that's in upstreams interest as well ;-) But it's to early to say which version. In any case there's always 3.5.7 to fall back on.

gr.

Toma
--
http://www.mailody.net