Re: Kmail and Kontact backups

On Thursday 08 February 2007 02:54, Alex Hamilton wrote:
> I have been running Mepis 6 for several months and my email client is
> KMail, which I use withing Kontact.
>
> In that time I have tried several times to back up important email messages
> that I want to keep, but without success.  Even Mepis Forum has not been of
> much help.

The best way to backup all email is to create an archive of the whole KDE mail
directory,

Depending on the version of KMail when you started using it,it could be either
~/Mail or ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail

For example my mail directory is ~/Mail

I have done backups an successfully moved all mails from machine to machine
several times like this:

backup to archive file
$ tar cvzf mails.tar.gz ~/Mail

restoring:
$tar xvzf mails.tar.gz

Both actions should be done while KMail is not running!

If you want to backup only a special selection of mail, you can do this:

1) create a new folder in KMail and choose "mbox" as the format (this is a
single file format, the default is a directory)

2) copy/move messages to this folder

3) stop KMail

4) open the KMail mail directory (see above) in a file manager and copy/move
the file that is named like the folder you created to your storage device.

Restoring works like this

1) stop KMail

2) copy/move the mbox file into the KMail mail directory

3) start KMail

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring