Re: kscreensaver: conffile prompt during testing update

Le Ven 19 Mai 2006 18:06, Justin Pryzby a écrit :
> You can actually avoid the conffile prompt, though it may not be
> worth it since I think that think doesn't affect stable upgrades
> (dpkg, by definition handles conffile content changes gracefully, and
> automatically, as long as the package owning the conffile doesn't
> change [during the same upgrade as the content of the conffile
> changes]).
>
> Just make the preinstall script remove the file if:
>
>   1 it is an upgrade (and not a fresh install), from an affected
>     version
>   2 the file exists
>   3 the md5sum of the file matches that stored in the dpkg status
>     database,
>   4 the md5sum of the file matches (one of) the expected md5sum(s)
>     from the affected version(s)
>
> 2 is unnecessary if you use rm -f, and 4 is not strictly necessary,
> but the world is a better place when there are more conditionals
> around a noninteractive rm.
>
> Justin

the real fix would be that dpkg includes ucf and uses automatically to
deal with conffiles. because here, the old config file would have been
present in the md5sum database, and upgrade would just have worked.

if you want to militate for the integration of ucf into dpkg, just know
that I'll second you. honnestly, here, dealing with the upgrade is more
painful that the problem it solves, and I wouldn't even bother fixing
it.
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit