DRM weirdness?

Hi,

I've never been able to get DRM working when
doing "startx /usr/bin/startkde ...", the Xorg.1.log file always points
to DRIScreenInit (in the i810 driver) failing because
of "drmSetBusid ... permission denied." I don't know where drmSetBusid
lives (not the kernel or i810 driver), but permissions look fine,
afaict (not entirely sure if I know what to look for though):

However, it works if I stop the boot-launched KDM first. Conversely,
sessions started from KDM don't have hardware 3-D if startx was run
first.

Is that normal?  Is it an X-thing (i.e., only one server is allowed to
do DRI at a time) or a KDE-thing (e.g., hogging the interface)?

- Bruce