Kolab Plans?

Hello,

1) I LOVE kontact - REALLY COOL! ;0)
2) I'd like to set up a central infrastructure for addressbooks and calendars
for a small group of people - enter: GROUPWARE.
3) I have managed to install OpenLDAP following
http://wiki.tryphon.org/Configure_OpenLDAP, but can't find an LDAP Schema
that would cover all fields in the addressbook component of kontact.
4) I struggled for a while to install egroupware, but am having major problems
to get it to run ...
5) Wait - kontact was designed as a client for kolab, wasn't it? Kolab
installation is a major pida! System independent installations of bzip2,
file, gcc, gzip, make, openssl, PERL!, ... ? Gimme a break! Can't cooperate
with base-required exim? Brrrrr!

So the question now is: are there any plans to package kolab for debian proper
- without this openpkg monster?

I'd like to help according to my restricted "hobbyist" (if that word wasn't
tainted by Mr. M$ ...) system administrator capabilities ...

Thanks, Joh