Re: Can't update KDE from alioth, are server Packages broken?

On Sunday 04 December 2005 03:11 pm, Peterson wrote:
> Ok, after an accidental upgrade against unstable destroyed my system last
> night I did a fresh net-work install of sarge-stable. Which give me KDE
> 3.3 amongst everything else. I need to get KDE 3.4 or better.
>
> Apparently
> http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.4.0/ is mostly not there anymore.
> I tried "apt-get update" against
> http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.4.3/ but the package list
> Packages.gz is still not found.

These repositories were never intended to be sarge backports.  All the
pkg-kde repositories on alioth are staging areas for new packages.  Once
these packages move into sid, they are often removed from alioth.  That is
what happened to the 3.4 stuff.  It is available in both sid and
etch/testing.

> if I use:
> http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.5-rc1/ or
> http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.5.0/
> I can "apt-get update" but then "apt-get dist-upgrade |less" tells me
> that
> 5 packages will be upgraded, 6 newly installed 266 removed, and i think 4
> untouched.

These packages are intended for sid.  As you have found out, they won't work
with sarge.

If you are looking for backports, I would recommend you look at
http://www.ekhis.org/ specifically their backports repository.

> This would not be a good thing! I did a couple searches, but the docs
> seem to be a couple months out of date and i'm at a loss. Not even sure
> if this is the right list, but i took a 'best-guess'.

debian-kde@lists.debian.org would probably be a better list in the future.

Josh