Re: A Prisonner of the dependency hell

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 04:49:14PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> I don't suppose there's a smaller test case involving fewer packages?

After spending a dozen of hour tracking it, I have the obvious headache,
but also the following:

1) debootstrap woody

2) Install the following packages:
konqueror aptitude libqt3 libhtml-tree-perl libapt-pkg-perl libft-perl

3) point apt at sarge.

At this point you are between a rock and a hard place:
You can do
2) aptitude install aptitude, but that remove konqueror and perl
3) aptitude dist-upgrade, but that remove konqueror

As for the culprit, my headache does not allow me to investigate more,
but here some clues: In _woody_,

1) libqt3 has a circular dependency with libqt3-mt.
2) libhtml-tree-perl has a circular dependency with libwww-perl.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.