Request from Debian packagers: please don't ship debian/ in tarballs

Hello!

  After a bit of internal discussion, the people active in packaging KDE
  modules for Debian (*) have agreed that it'd be best if the source
  tarballs provided by the KDE Project wouldn't include the debian
  subdirectory that is present in its repository. This is pretty much
  the general consensus among Debian Developers, too.

  We're aware that obviously this won't be possible for the 3.4.1
  tarballs, but we hope that the necessary changes can be made for the
  following release.

  I'd like to add that the reasons for this request are purely of a
  technical nature: having the 'debian' subdirectory in the upstream
  tarballs can produce situations with which our current tools can't
  cope (e.g., deleting a file under it). Alas, they take a (sometimes
  significant) bit of space that is not relevant for other distributors,
  so the removal also makes sense from this point of view.

  Related to this, some people have noticed that these subdirectories
  are very outdated in at least half of the official KDE modules. The
  reason for this is that we've been using our own svn repository for a
  while now. We realize this is a suboptimal situation, and we will soon
  discuss possible solutions to improve the status of this, since we
  want those directories to continue to have a place in the KDE
  repository, and be actually useful.

  Thanks in advance.

    (*) In particular: Ben Burton, Isaac Clerencia, Christopher Martin,
        Pierre Habouzit, Riku Voipio and myself.

--
Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

So, irregular/impure/non-elegant syntax doesn't bother me. Shit, I speak
English. Mainly I just want to type less.
                -- William Morgan, on [ruby-talk:131589]