Re: New font defaults for new users - feedback wanted!

On Friday 08 April 2005 17:22, Bastian Venthur wrote:
> Pierre Habouzit wrote:
>
> > afaik, when using kdm, dpi is guessed by X.
> > my dpi was read on my both screens (the physical ones) and resulted in
> > x-dpi and y-dpi (I mean the horiz and vertical dpi weren't the same).
> >
> > maybe then if fallbacks to 75dpi if no information is found on the
> > hardware ...
> >
> > Personnaly I *manually* force the dpi in kdmrc, and I run startx with
> > -- -dpi 75

Uh, why?

> Thats exactly the reason why i thought, that kde is "optimized" for 75dpi,
> because on it looks best on my 14''laptop-display as well as on my 19''
> deskop-display with 75dpi.

Some times back kdm Xservers file forced 100 dpi.   AFAIR never 75 dpi.
All this looks best cheating with dpi was a somehow usefuls hack with
CRT monitors and in limited available sizes of bitmap fonts.

With scalable fonts and TFTs dpi tweaking is stupid (IMO or course).

> Calculating the dpi for both displays would give me some values about
> 92-96dpi but I think 75dpi looks kind of better.

No.  Wrong approach.  Choose another font size (in pt).

> Personaly I find "dpi" as it pretty useless for monitor-description, since
> we have already all data needed: 1280x1024 (19'') for example. But i
> admint, that i may have not fully understood this hole "graphics-thingy".

dpi much more accurate that the 1'' steps used in monitor descriptions
(and only there ;)  Ever seen a 14.31'' monitor? I'm looking right now at one ;)
Further dpi in x and dpi in y are often not identical and then the
dimension of the diagonal is to less information.

I've 14'' TFT with 75 dpi, 98 dpi, 125 dpi and a 15'' with 133 dpi.
On all of them I use 10pt font settings and on all monitors the font
have identical size.  Windows (almost) identical size.  Restored or
copied setting look almost identical.  Great.

<rant>
If I would force 75 dpi, without changing font size.  The fonts would
be on the 133 dpi almost half the size as on the old TFT with 75 dpi.
Same for windows sizes.  PDL documentation tell you A4 but it looks
like A5.  Argl!   Recalibration size with gimp for every monitor,
what fun.
</rant>

> BTW as far as i remember XP has only two settings for dpi 96(default) and
> some-other-but-not-75 (don't remember the exact value).

yeah, brain dead windows has only std 2 font sizes.  And brain dead MS
programmer hard code pixel size of buttons so that only one font works
well.  That's worser than the unix situation year ago.
And MS solution? scale up everything on hires monitor.
Lose all the sharpness one can expect from a hires monitor.
HAAAAAAAAAA brilliant!

> > I don't know how startx work anyway.
>
> Me too ;)
>
> I wish someone at kde.org could implement some inside-kde-solution for
> setting the dpi, so we finaly have a common basis for things like setting
> the default fontsize.

KDE has the solution some years already.   They specify fonts size in
pt  (72pt == 1 inch) not pixels.   Then there no need at all to even
know about dpi as long as the Xserver gets the right value from the
hardware.

In the old days monitor had ~ 75 dpi. So 1 px ~ 1 pt = 1 dot.
People are used to font size of 10.   They always think this are pixels
but are really used to 10 pt fonts.

Achim