Re: Status of KDE 3.4

On Friday 01 April 2005 01:07, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> Le Jeu 31 Mars 2005 19:52, Kevin Krammer a écrit :
> > This way around is not guranteed, an application built agains 3.3
> > should be able to run on 3.4, of course applications using the 3.4
> > API might not work using 3.3
>
> well, the quanta example shows it's not the case.
>
> quanta built against 3.3, running on top of 3.4 is broken.

I am sorry, but in the mail I was replying to you wrote that running Quanta
3.4 with libcvsservice 3.3 didn't work, which would be ok.
Quanta 3.3 not running with libcvsservice 3.4 is not I guess.

However I don't know the compatability policy for loadable components outside
kdelibs, mabye Ian can put that question on kde-core-devel?

> so if we put kdelibs/base 3.4 in unstable, it means *every* kde apps has
> to be rebuilt, because we cannot take the chance. and that would delay
> the release really too much. it's not acceptable.

As 3.4 is already releases it is a bit late now, but I guess that a known BIC
change in kdelibs would have been a showstopper.
KDE's credability as a development platform is strongly tied to its capability
to ensure that through all releases of a certain major number.

Cheers,
Kevin