Re: pkg-kde: commit - rev 33 - people/jd/scripts

On Feb 12, 2004 at 23:15, Chris Cheney praised the llamas by saying:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 05:53:52PM +0100, David Pashley wrote:
> > Author: jd-guest
> > Date: 2004-02-12 17:53:52 +0100 (Thu, 12 Feb 2004)
> > New Revision: 33
> >
> > Added:
> >    people/jd/scripts/check-replaces
> > Removed:
> >    people/jd/scripts/check-conflicts.pl
> > Log:
> > It has come to my attention that I want to use Replaces, not Conflicts.
> > script renamed and altered to read Replaces. The concept that a package
> > conflicts with another package if they contain the same file is kept.
>
> I haven't looked at the new script in detail but I wanted to make sure
> you know the following information. If you need to take over a file
> from a package that still exists, but no longer ships that file, just
> use replaces. If you have a file that needs your version and the other
> package still exists and contains that file you need a conflicts. If
> you have a file that needs to take over a file from a package that no
> longer exists then it should be a Conflicts and Replaces, this insures
> that the old package does not stay installed on the system. At least as
> I understand it. ;)

I think I need to do a bit more work in parsing various Packages.gz
files and getting the versions out. I've sure we can work out writing
the conflicts and replaces for us.

> Also, as domi said when you use svn you should move the file not
> add/remove so that changes can be tracked. :)

I did an svn move check-conflicts.pl check-replaces. that is what it
did. Not sure if it kept the history.

--
David Pashley
david@davidpashley.com