Re: Update in t-p-u for kde-core from 4:3.1.2 to 5:42 ???

* Frans Pop [Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:08:27 +0100]:

> I noticed this evening in aptitude an update for Sarge for kde-core.
> I think the update is probably from testing-proposed-updates.

  no, no t-p-u, just normal unstable -> sid migration.

> It looks very suspicious to me:

  it's ok, uploaded by a member of the KDE team.

> - Why the huge version jump from 4:3.1.2 to 5:42?

  to make kde just a dependency package, clearly stating that its
  version has no relation at all to the real kde version in debian.

> - Why does the changelog list:   The "why is kde in debian still 3.1.2" Release
>   As you well know the version of KDE is Sarge is 3.2.3!

  'apt-cache show kde' would show version 3.1.2, and some people would
  get confused by that.

> (/me has put the package on hold for now)

  you may safely upgrade.

> Cheers,
> Frans Pop

  next time you could check the archives of the lists you post to, e.g.
  <http://lists.debian.org/debian-qt-kde/2004/11/msg00327.html>. and the
  relevant changelog entry, of course:

    * Disconnect meta-kde version numbers from kde.

--
Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

Create a system that is usable even by idiots, and only idiots will use it.