Re: admin/debianrules kde_configdir issue

On Wednesday 25 February 2004 11:01, Chris Cheney wrote:
> I am trying to decide whether I should revert the move of kde_configdir
> from /etc/kde3 to /usr/share/config that was changed in experimental. It
> has caused at least one noticable problem, kdm doesn't use the normal
> kde path lookup like everything else so you can't override its config
> files in /etc/kde3. It also is probably a policy violation to have config
> files in /usr/share even though they can be overriden in /etc/kde3. Also
> since the config files disappeared from /etc/kde3 upgrades from earlier
> kde 3.x releases will keep their old config files in /etc/kde3 and use
> them instead of the newer ones in /usr/share/config.
>
> If I revert back to /etc/kde3 I think I will need to make a symlink from
> /usr/share/config -> /etc/kde3 so that I still won't need /etc/kderc and
> /etc/kde3/system.kdeglobals. I will probably also need to check and
> remove any existing /etc/kderc /etc/kde3/system.kdeglobals files...
>
> Any comments?

Hi Chris,
I still think that /etc/kde3 & /usr/share/config symlink & ...
is the right thing (tm) to do.

I'll agree with Ben that migration can be a bit tricky.
Are packages in experimental required to provide a smooth
upgrade path too?

Btw: is Xfree86 4.3 a release goal for sarge?  Some of the
experimental kde 3.2 pkgs depend already on 4.3.

Achim

                                      -- reddy@lion.austin.ibm.com