Re: check the wiki

On Thursday 05 February 2004 19:42, Yves Glodt wrote:
> On Thursday 05 February 2004 20:26, Peter Nuttall wrote:
> > On Thursday 05 February 2004 19:08, Yves Glodt wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > subject says all,
> > >
> > > TIA!
> >
> > as above:
> > http://wiki.debian.net/?DebianKDE
>
> Thank you for the information, however it triggered another question...
>
> When could KDE 3.1.5 make it into testing? I (and I guess many other
> users too), wanna just know if I wait, or go experimental. I prefer
> staying unstable as it is less likely to break stuff...
>
> regards,
> Yves
It is a good question. As you might know, debian is warming up to relase its
next version: sarge. as the testing branch is what will become sarge, then it
is in a state of flux at present. on one hand, the debian higher-ups would
prefer it if the kde matainers did not upgrade kde futher in sarge. this
would lessen pressure on the bbluids and mean that they could finsh sarge and
get it out the door  on the other hand, the debian kde people would want
sarge to release with the latest version of kde, if not 3.2 at least 3.1.5.
this would fix lots of bugs. Also as long as people keep breaking the kde
packages in sarge by upgrading libs and the toolchain, then the debian kde
people will be upgrading and fixing the packages anyway, and does it matter
that they are now the latest version?

in conclusion, we have no idea when 3.1.5 is going to move to testing, but it
will probably be a week or two. the packages in experamental are iffy at
present, they suffer from a lot of packaging bugs. then again, people have
got them to work. it is your machine and I can not tell you what to do with
it, so make up your own mind.

best of luck

pete

--