Re: KDE 3 / KDE 4 compatibility

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 10:29:34PM +0200, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> On Dienstag, 2. September 2003 19:27, Chris Cheney wrote:
>
> > Once KDE 4 is being worked on upstream we will need to try to get all
> > the rest of the mess cleaned up. Hopefully we will have time. :)
> No, we have to sort out the mess for KDE 3.2. KDE 4 will introduce way too
> many other problems, beleive me :-) This is why I'm bugging everyone right
> now to fix the issues since the meeting last week.

I was under the impression that no binary incompatible changes could
happen before KDE 4?

> > > The only outstanding issues now are
> > >
> > > libkdeprint_mananagement.la (lib and module, needs split-up like khmtl)
> > > /usr/lib/kaddprinterwizard.so/.la which should be a module and is
> > > installed at the wrong location.
> This has been fixed - coolo did a wrong commit and cleaned it up, dirk fixed
> it a second time. Now the kaddprinterwizard program gets build again plus the
> kaddprinterwizard.so/.la get installed in /usr/lib/kde3.
>
> The question is just why /usr/lib/kde3/kprinterwizard.so/.la is in
> kdelibs-bin; it should be in kdelibs4.

In KDE 3.1 kaddprinterwizard appears to be a binary/library speed hack.
It is similiar to the libkdeinit_* binaries in KDE 3.2. Was the binary
not supposed to really be built, if so we could remove that in BRANCH
and then move the so/la to /usr/lib/kde3?

There is no /usr/lib/kde3/kprinterwizard.so/.la in KDE 3.1, perhaps you
typo'd?

> I found another outstanding one, knotify.so/.la.

knotify, at least in KDE 3.1, is also another one of the binary/library
speed hacks eg libkdeinit_*

> > > - do we have the same issues with arts and koffice and kdebase ? (I think
> > > I remember something like this darkly)
> >
> > Yes, there are similiar problems with arts... arts doesn't have a fscking
> > module dir at all, it puts all its modules into /usr/lib. Also, the
> > /usr/lib/mcop dir isn't versioned so may cause additional difficulties,
> > but I'm not sure.
>
> Can you get into contact with Stefan Westerfeld and Stephan Kulow please to
> resolve those issues ? If they can't be solved then the work on KDE 3.2 is
> more or less bogus I think :-) if there isn't a different way to solve the
> issues.

Ok, will try to convince them to fix that issue...

Thanks,

Chris

Side note: I wonder if the dists installing stuff into /opt could be
declared non LSB conforming... /opt is reserved for 3rd party apps only,
similiar to how /usr/local is only for local admin stuff. (This isn't a
Debian only decision...)