Re: Struggling with dpkg-buildpackage with kdebase (latest CVS)

On Sunday 28 December 2003 11:06, Alan Chandler wrote:
> I am trying to build myself some up to date debs (in a sid chroot inside my
> existing debian system)
>
> The apidocs part is failing - thus.
>
> Error: tag HTML_HEADER: header file `../apidocs/common/header.html' does not
> exist
> make[3]: *** [apidox-am-yes] Error 1
>
> In checking up, it appears that ../apidocs/common is a unsatisfied link to
> /usr/share/doc/HTML/en/common  (the HTML directory does not yet exist in my
Hi Alan,

Normally KDE docs are installed into /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML (note
additional kde/ subdir).  HTML dir is one of the dirs where KDEs
'everything below one prefix' does not match FHS with prefix set to
/usr.

> chroot  - despite having installed kdelibs from the freshly built debs)
>
> The relevent piece of makefile in kdebase/admin/Doxyfile.am seems to be the
> following.
>

>                if test ! -x $(top_builddir)/apidocs/common; then \
>                         if test -d $(top_srcdir)/doc/common; then \
>                            common_dir=`cd $(top_srcdir)/doc/common && pwd` ;\
>                         else \
>                            common_dir=$(kde_libs_htmldir)/en/common ;\
>                         fi ;\
>                         $(LN_S) $$common_dir $(top_builddir)/apidocs/common; \
>                 fi ;\
>
> Which sort of makes me think that $(kde_libs_htmldir) is being set to the
> final target rather than the obj-i386-linux build directory during the
> building of the debs.  I presume in most peoples case they will have
> established the /usr/share/docs/HTML hierarchy from previous builds so not
> noticed the problem.

I had a look at one of my debiandirs files and found only

export kde_htmldir=/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML
configkdevelop=...--with-kdelibsdoc-dir=/usr/share/doc/kdelibs3-doc/html...

So kde_libs_htmldir is not set/exported and not defined for configkde.

I've not installed kdelibs3-doc so can't check where it's docs are installed.
Please check where kdelibs3-doc installs it's docu and add do configkde
--with-kdelibsdoc-dir=/usr/share/doc/kdelibs?????/html.  I guess exporting
additionaly kde_libs_htmldir in debiandirs does not hurt.

Does this fix the problem?   If yes, kde-common/admin/debianrules needs to
be updated.

> I've scouted around the KDE CVS repository looking for recent relevent changes
> around this area and I can't find any - normally an indication that I am way
> off beam with my thinking.  Since I am new to this area and on a steep
> learnign curve, can anyone shortcut this for me and help me understand why it
> is like the way it is (and what needs to change).

The KDEs 'everything below' prefix and the quirks used in debian to follow
FHS, do not play well together.  Untils we find/agree on an algorithm how
to handle a KDE installations distrubuted accross

	a) FHS (easy ;)
	b) /usr/local
	c) somewhere else (e.g. /opt or /home/joeUsers/ etc) via KDEDIR(s)

and patch kstandarddirs.*.in accordingly the KDE dir layout versus FHS
layout issue will catch us again and again.

Achim