Re: Mass svn-to-git migration - Progress report

On Wednesday, 12 April 2023 18:45:31 CEST Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> I think the git repositories should just be created directly under
> debian/. There's no reason not to, it makes it easier to find them
> (not everybody will know about the alioth-to-salsa-migration-team),
> and removes the need to create a separate group and to fork them to
> debian/ later. There's not much controversial there - it's just pure
> git to git.

If debian/control points to the alioth-to-salsa-migration-team repo, it
shouldn't be hard to find.

> On the subversion migrations, the hardest part is in dealing
> with the differences in habits between svn-buildpackage and git-buildpackage
> (or whatever you're expecting people to use). You'll need
> to convert svn-buildpackage settings to e.g. git-buildpackage somehow, and
> e.g. potentially weave in the upstream sources
> (lots of packages in svn ship just debian/ whereas in git it's common
> to include the upstream source). If you don't do that, then
> it's probably better to not do a conversion from svn at all, but e.g.
> do a straight import from the archive (e.g. based on the dgit
> repository).

Then it's better to abort the migration attempt at all and do a straight
import from the archive.

I wanted to convert id3lib to git and then use that to *learn* packaging with
git-buildpackage (and related stuff). But if I first have to learn that and also
svn-buildpackage, which I really don't want, then it's kind of pointless for
me. It would also increase the amount of work 10 or 100 fold?
And I have no idea how I would _assume_ how other people would use it as I
know virtually nothing about (git) packaging myself.

The idea I had with the a-t-s-m-t repos is that I would not (have to) assume
anything about how a prospective maintainer would want to do their packaging,
but leave that choice entirely up to them. That's why I wanted to leave open
the option of them being able to rewrite the git history to suit their needs
and before the repo would be moved to f.e. the debian/ namespace.
All they would get is the old SVN repo, but converted to git.

Diederik