Re: bug wrangling: strict ordering of 'affects' during merges?

James Addison <jay@jp-hosting.net> writes:

> I'm learning the Debian BTS and control operations, and am trying to
> merge three RC bugs that relate to a common cause (#1031293, #1031443,
> #1031449).

> It seems difficult to get the order of the 'affects' list to match in
> each of the bugs, seemingly a requirement for them to merge
> successfully - I've spent a little over an hour attempting various
> combinations of +, - and = operations using "Control: affects" headers
> to try to get a match.

Generally for stuff like this just use forcemerge, which sets the metadata
of all of the other bugs to match the first one.  I usually only try one
round of merge fixing before resorting to forcemerge for fiddly little
disagreements like this.