Re: lintian worker on Debian infra ; future of lintian.debian.org

Hi

On 31/08/22 at 19:04 +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Wed, Jul  6, 2022 at 21:56:16 +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
>
> > 1/ Moving the worker node to Debian infra
> >
> > Currently the worker node (that runs lintian) is an AWS VM. It would
> > be nice to move it to Debian infra instead. Requirements are:
> > - bullseye VM where lintian from bullseye-backports can be installed.
> >   Ideally, you would then auto-upgrade it from backports when a new
> >   version gets released. Or someone can ping you to do it.
> > - the orchestrator (on the UDD VM) connects using SSH to the worker
> >   node.
> > - technical specs: running lintian is mainly CPU intensive, and requires
> >   some disk space to store the temporary data. The AWS VM has 8 cores,
> >   32 GB RAM, 100 GB disk.
> >
> That is probably feasible, although I'm curious why this is preferred
> over a cloud VM, or set of cloud VMs (in a debian-owned account) that
> can get spawned as needed instead of a static host?

Multiple VMs would be overkill. Re-processing everything (as required
to update the results for a new lintian version) takes 4-5 days, so
that's probably acceptable.

I thought the general goal was to have official Debian services run on
DSA-controlled infrastructure. In that case it's true that it's only the
data acquisition part that is running outside DSA-controlled
infrastructure. We can leave it like that (and it's not that hard to
transition later, the worker is mostly stateless).
I just wanted to raise the topic.

> > 2/ Future of lintian.debian.org.
> >
> > It is currently not actively maintained, and the data on it is stale. We
> > can:
> > - keep it like that until someone decides to adopt it (but the fact that
> >   the data is stale is a bit misleading)
> > - shut it down or redirect it to https://udd.debian.org/lintian/ or
> >   somewhere else.
> > I don't have a strong opinion.
> >
> I think we should very much not keep it stale, it's been that way way
> too long already.  I'd lean towards shutting it down but a redirect
> would also be OK IMO.

I started a wiki page to document how to transition from lintian.d.o to
the UDD implementation. That could be useful if you turn lintian.d.o
into a static page saying it has been shutdown, and want to point
somewhere to help people transition.

Lucas