Re: Getting rid of 1.0 with dpatch/quilt/direct changes

On 2021-04-09 21:02 +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

> On 09/04/21 at 19:49 +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> The X Strike Force is still sticking to format 1.0, with one of the main
>> reasons being that it makes it easier to cherry-pick one or several
>> upstream commits.  In the 3.0 format you have to create a separate patch
>> and later remove it when merging in the next upstream version.
>
> Would that be true also with single-debian-patch?

Long lived patches are still managed with quilt, so single-debian-patch
is not an option.  Thus, you often get a mixture of quilt patches and
direct changes.

> Also, while I was aware of this workflow for the X team, it seems that
> there's at least one outlier:
> https://salsa.debian.org/xorg-team/app/xterm/-/tree/debian-unstable/debian/patches

More to the point, xterm actually uses format 3.0 now.  That is because
upstream does not use git, and because the only person in Uploaders is
an outlier in the X Strike Force. ;-)

>> Whether this outweighs the disadvantages of the 1.0 format is debatable,
>> but I think it would be best to start a discussion on the debian-x list
>> or the #debian-x IRC channel before filing individual bugs.
>
> Sure, I take this discussion as a preliminary discussion before a
> potential discussion, later, about a mass bug filing. It's not clear if
> we will get there.

Cheers,
       Sven