Re: [UDD] Is there some effort to port UDD to Python3?

Hi Lucas,

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 08:47:11AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

> > Not as far as I know. I suspect that, once it becomes necessary, it will
> > be easy to do given the codebase is relatively small.
>
> I agree that the small code base makes it probably easy.  But I'm
> worried about the "once it becomes necessary" part.  We all know that
> Python2 is only alive due to our security team and we should actively
> work on getting rid of the dependency rather sooner than later.  Working
> "under pressure" makes things always uneasy - no matter how easy it
> would be in principle.
>
> I know probably nobody will stop me from doing it - but I'm hesitating
> adding another item on my table which is full of Debian Med - Covid-19
> stuff.  I'd volunteer to port those importers I've written myself once
> somebody gives the signal - but I'd love if those who have written the
> core parts would take the lead (rather sooner than later).

I need to come back to this topic since I like to test the importers on
my local machines which are usually running testing.  I now get a
conflict since python-debian is needed but this can not be installed any
more since it would need python-chardet which in turn conflicts with
latest python3-chardet.  So simply picking from snapshot.d.o is no
option and I think its time to do the Python3 port.  There are code
contributions from:

$ git log --pretty=format:"%an <%ae>" udd/*.py | sed 's/@3b15d4d3-bb24-0410-9696-dc0fab150647/@debian.org/' | sort | uniq | grep -v -e 'Akshita Jha' -e 'Emmanouil Kiagias' -e ^lucas -e ^tille
Andreas Tille <tille@debian.org>
Bas Couwenberg <sebastic@xs4sall.nl>
Gianfranco Costamagna <locutusofborg@debian.org>
Ivo De Decker <ivo.dedecker@ugent.be>
kroeckx <kroeckx@debian.org>
laney <laney@debian.org>
Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@debian.org>
Mattia Rizzolo <mattia@debian.org>
Ole Streicher <ole@aip.de>
Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org>
themill-guest <themill-guest@debian.org>
zack <zack@debian.org>

(I left out former GSoC students of mine where I can take over the code
as well as duplicates that are obvious to me.)

So how can we organise the Python3 port of the UDD code base?

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de