Re: packages that FTBFS twice in a row ...

Re: Andreas Beckmann 2017-12-21 <9480d47b-cc74-442e-b9c3-01643b17f909@debian.org>
>    c) passes, but leaves new/modified in the debian/ tree
>       * #884419, #884815: override_dh_clean does not run dh_clean
>         resulting in debian/$PKG/ package build directories and
>         debhelper logfiles being left in the tree. Subsequent
>         dpkg-source will choke on unknown binary files under debian/
>         There is a lintian check coming: #884817 "lintian: check for
>         override_dh_clean target missing call to dh_clean".

Fwiw, I always twitch a bit when I have to write in debian/rules:

override_dh_foo:
	dh_foo
	$whatever

I'd very much like to see this implemented in dh:

after_dh_foo:
	$whatever

... and maybe also before_dh_foo. Will file a wishlist bug.

Christoph