Re: Automatic testing: openqa.debian.net

On Tue, 05 Dec 2017, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi fil,
>
> On Fri, 24 Nov 2017, Philip Hands wrote:
>> If you look here:
>>
>>   https://openqa.debian.net/
>>
>> You'll see that I've been testing d-i daily images for a while.
>>
>> The scripts that drive those tests are available here:
>>
>>   https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/openqa-tests-debian.git/
>
> In what way is openqa/os-autoinst better than the jenkins jobs
> that you and Holger have created to do similar tests in the past?
>
> I know Holger was at some point considering to replicate what Tails
> has done:
> https://tails.boum.org/contribute/release_process/test/automated_tests/

That's what I started from with what I was doing before.

> Have you looked into this and how does openqa/os-autoinst compare
> to this solution?

It's entirely possible that I wasn't doing that in the most
straight-forward manner, and that it's possible to make it easier to
work with cucumber/sikuli, but I doubt that it's ever possible to make
it a pleasant experience. Sikuli on its own seems like it's probably a
nice thing, and cucumber seems very useful if one is doing BDD, but the
cucumber web site has a big fat warning on it saying that if you are
using it for what we were using it for, then you're doing it wrong.

I was already agreeing with them about that before I saw OpenQA, so it
was a great relief to discover that I could stop.

Having jenkins in the mix makes things at least twice as painful.

OpenQA really makes it a lot easier, orders of magnitude quicker, and
much more fun.

I can imagine getting OpenQA to a point where people can do drive-by
test creation when they're testing bugs in random packages, and that not
only would it be less effort than testing by hand, but should build into
a nice regression suite -- I doubt that was ever going to happen with
cucumber etc.

Cheers, Phil.