Re: Automatic testing: openqa.debian.net

On Sun, 03 Dec 2017, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> (dropping debian-boot@ and adding debian-edu@l.d.o to the recipients,
> and leaving context for the latter...)
>
> On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 01:35:41PM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
>> If you look here:
>>   https://openqa.debian.net/
>>
>> You'll see that I've been testing d-i daily images for a while.
>>
>> The scripts that drive those tests are available here:
>>   https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/openqa-tests-debian.git/
>
> very cool. (how) can I subscribe to commit notifications for this
> repo?

I guess we should plumb it up with a link to IRC?

At present I'm mostly being naughty and doing my flailing attempts to
make things work directly in the live directory, so there are only
commits when things start working properly (so pretty rare ;-) )

>> As you can see from the README.md this is based on Fedora's tests.  The
>> README helpfully points at the original documentation for os-autoinst,
>> which is the thing that does the work.
>>
>> It's possible that the README says things work that I've since broken in
>> order to make it work for the Debian tests.  Please point that out to me
>> if you notice, and I'll either fix things, or fix the README, as
>> appropriate.
>>
>> So far I've been focused on testing d-i up to the point where we can see
>> that it's possible to login, and see whatever should be expected for
>> each of our desktops.
>
> I see you also seem to have tests for Debian Edu!
> (at http://openqa.debian.net/group_overview/6 )

Yeah -- that was mostly to see how things work once you add another
thing to test.  It only does a simple install so far, and it gets a bit
befuddled by Firefox automatically starting, but it does work.

If there are regularly produced betas to test somewhere, that would make
it a much more interesting test.

>> There is no reason to limit ourselves to that, and since we're
>> generating newly installed VM images regularly, it's completely fine to
>> write tests that use those as a starting point.  It's also possible to
>> write tests that use ssh or the serial console, so that yo don't need to
>> hunt for things in screenshots.
>>
>> Currently it's all running in one VM (with nested VMs), but the
>> os-autoinst is able to run additional workers, so we should be able to
>> scale up as required.
>>
>> At some point I'll want to reinstall everything, when all the bits are
>> available as packages (which might be already true -- I'll check shortly).
>>
>> BTW In order to log in, you'll currently need an OpenSUSE SSO account
>> (because that works out of the box, and I've no idea what needs to be
>> done to make things work with sso.debian.org, say -- all hints
>> gratefully accepted :-) )
>>
>> There's lots of things left to do here, with the most important thing
>> probably being making it possible to add tests without needing root
>> access to the machine (which is currently needed for some bits) so
>> please pester me about what you would like to test, and that will force
>> me to make it possible for you to do it without my intervention
>> (eventually ;-) ).
>
> I'd like it to get into a state ASAP so that we can turn of the
> "g-i-installation" tests on jenkins.debian.net - how can I help with
> that?

Me too -- my time is currently being consumed by the fact that my local
kindergarten is infested with some sort of vomiting virus, hence I
decided Mathilda would be better off using me as a climbing frame (not
great for productivity, so don't expect quick replies ;-) )

> If i look at the job group "Debian" I cannot (yet?) clearly see which
> Debian images are tested how?

The images are available in the assets tab, but you're right -- they are
the daily sid images.

> I suppose it would be good to setup tests for stable and
> testing/unstable, and use the former to tests the tests and the latter
> to test Debian... :) (and both combined to test+develop the UI)

The current tests should work with stable/testing, so that's just a
question of launching the tests.

I'd really like to do this using some mechanism for throwing images at
the test system, so that when the images are built, the tests can be
triggered.

Scripting it otherwise has proven rather fragile, and always seems to
need a helping hand when releases happen, which is a bit of a bore.

Cheers, Phil.