Re: Package modifying a user-modified config file? [Bug #780797]

On 03/21/2015 04:10 PM, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> * Chris Knadle <Chris.Knadle@coredump.us>, 2015-03-21, 15:22:
>> At present the openssh-server and openssh-client packages are altering
>> /etc/ssh/ssh_config and /etc/ssh/sshd_config without prompting the
>> user beforehand, even when they've been locally modified.
>
> To clarify /etc/ssh/ssh_config is a conffile; so it's managed by dpkg,
> which DOES prompt when the file was locally-modified.

In this case dpkg did /not/ prompt when ssh_config was modified; instead
there was only a printed message about it being changed.  Why I don't
know; I've been looking at the source file to try to figure it out.

> The only trouble is /etc/ssh/sshd_config, which is not a conffile for
> whatever reason.

Ugh.  Any file in /etc should be a conffile by Policy AFAICT so if
this is so I should probably file a bug about it.

Thanks much

  -- Chris

--
Chris Knadle