Re: reportbug reports are not sent

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 18:57:06 Russ Allbery wrote:
> Joseph Herlant <herlantj@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Reportbug sends mails via your local mail server by default.
>
> Pretty sure this isn't true any more, is it?  I think it's now using the
> submit port and sending mail directly to a Debian host.  (Of course,
> that's unstable/testing; stable may be too old for that.)

It looks to me like reportbug still submits bug reports via smtp.
/etc/reportbug.conf on my local machine it's set to use "submit", but the man
page for reportbug.conf indicates that this means "submission address -- i.e.
the email address submit@bugs.debian.org -- not a submission port
over the web.

The way I tested this without sending an actual bug report was to set Exim4
via /etc/default/exim4 to QUEUERUNNER='queueonly', restarting Exim4, and
creating a bug report.  The mail then only gets queued, not sent, so it shows
up via 'mailq' and can be removed via 'exim4 -Mrm <message ID>' so that it
won't get sent when setting the QUEUERUNNER back to 'combined'.

  -- Chris

--

Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@coredump.us