Re: possible MBF: automatically detecting unused build dependencies

Hi Johannes,

On Samstag, 26. Juli 2014, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> writing you and including debian-qa as discussed on #debian-qa :)

thanks! (just the list would have be sufficient but hey :)

> I become more and more convinced that it would be nice to run these checks
> more regularly than I was initially planning to (and also for more source
> packages). Every three months or half a year seems to be a good measure.

ok, sounds cool.

> You offered to run it on jenkins.d.n and its specs are surely enough to
> regularly crunch through a couple of hundred (or more) source packages. But
> after having consulted Helmut Grohne on how jenkins works I'm not so sure
> anymore whether it's the right place to implement something like this. If
> one chooses one job per source package, then one ends up with hundreds if
> not thousands of jobs and that doesnt seem to work well?

well, 1-3 hundred more jobs would be feasable, I think, so how many source
packages do you need to rebuild exactly?

> If one choose one
> job for the whole procedure then the problem is that it must be possible
> for the job to be running uninterrupted for weeks. Even with one job per
> source package, one job might be running for several days. For example each
> compilation of src:llvm-toolchain needs 3.5 h here and since 14
> compilations have to be done, that would amount to more than two days.

2 days is still ok'ish I say but why do you need to rebuild it 14 times????

> was told that long running jobs can be a problem because network
> occasionally fails or because -ENOSPC errors come up frequently.

ENOSPC was temporarily problem

> Or do you see a way to make this kind of QA measure work with jenkins
> nevertheless?

I think I first need to understand how many jobs exactly and (if they are
indeed way too many) whether they could be regrouped somehow. And why 14
rebuilds...

> If it turns out that jenkins is not the best place to run such a job from
> time to time then there is also AWS and I heard there are still plenty of
> credits to burn.

AFAIK thats true.

cheers,
	Holger