no binary without source and no source without binary an Packages and Sources files

Hi,

I hope this list reaches the right people to ask about this.

I'm running the bootstrap.debian.net [1] service which utilizes botch [2], a
tool to analyze dependency graphs using dose3. The analysis done by botch often
fails because the Packages files in Debian Sid often list binary packages
without a corresponding source package in the Sources file.

Here an example of yesterday's Debian Sid. I'm using snapshot.d.o because the
problem does not exist anymore in Sid of today:

	$ wget http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20140409T000000Z/dists/sid/main/binary-amd64/Packages.xz
	$ wget http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20140409T000000Z/dists/sid/main/source/Sources.xz
	$ zutils --zcat Packages.xz | grep-dctrl -P samhain -n -s Version
	2.8.3a-1+deb7u1
	$ zutils --zcat Sources.xz | grep-dctrl -P samhain -n -s Version
	3.1.0-5

While botch allows to gloss over this fact by either falling back to the next
available version or by just ignoring all binary and source packages which do
not match, it would be nice if the content of Packages and Sources files would
be clean in this regard in the first place.

 - how is this version skew created in the first place?
 - is it avoidable and if yes:
     - how hard is it to fix it?
     - what exactly needs to be fixed?
     - who is responsible for that part of the infrastructure?

Thank you!

cheers, josch

[1] http://bootstrap.debian.net/
[2] https://gitorious.org/debian-bootstrap/pages/Home