Re: [DEP 12] Why chosing YAML.

Hi Guillem and Russ,

indeed when exploring the use of debian/upstream, we went through the steps you
discussed in this thread.

Fisrst, I proposed to make equivalent the following entry:

    Foo:
      Bar: baz

and

    Foo-Bar: baz

It turned out to generate confusion.  More importantly, in the context of
bibliographic references, which is still the lead consumer for debian/upstream
files, this did not allow to store a list of references.  Also, I could not
motivate others to support the Foo-Bar equivalence.  We therefore deprecated
the feature.

    http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamMetadata#Hyphen_shortcut_for_mappings

This is one of the reasons why I started DEP 12: on one hand, it looks like we
need the complexity of YAML, but on the other hand, if we build too complex
structures, nobody will use them.  Therefore, I would like to have feedback on
the way we store information in the debian/upstream files (more on this in
another thread).

Have a nice Sunday,

--
Charles Plessy