Re: Huge list of broken Vcs-Svn entries in control files

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 10:27:33AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 07:55:44AM -0400, James McCoy wrote:
> > > _BUT_: After changing svn://svn.debian.org/... to
> > > svn://anonscm.debian.org/... makes it work again:
> >
> > See also <http://lintian.debian.org/tags/vcs-field-not-canonical.html>,
> > so maintainers should be aware of the problem.
>
> IMHO this is the wrong attitude.  While I tend to respect lintian issues
> of severity info you can not at all expect maintainers to just seek long
> standing bug free packages for such things and upload packages just
> because of this.

My reason for pointing out the lintian check was that there exists a
mechanism to inform maintainers that their Vcs-* URLs aren't canonical.
The description for the the tag states that the non-canonical URLs will
still work due to redirections, but that it would be beneficial to
update them.

Nothing about that implies that one needs to upload a new package just
to fix this tag.  It just means that if one happens to address that in
the course of a normal upload, tools using their Vcs-* URLs will be
slightly more performant and less likely to have transient failures.

James
GPG Key: 4096R/331BA3DB 2011-12-05 James McCoy <jamessan@debian.org>