Re: Hijacking^W^W^W^W^W^WSalvaging packages for fun and profit: A proposal

  Hi Thijs,

On Mon, Oct 01, 2012 at 10:51:22AM +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:

> > 1) A bug with severity "serious" against the package in question must be
> > filed, expressing the intent to take over maintainership of the package.
> > The reporter may also offer co-maintenance of the package.
>
> In my experience, a takeover of a package which is in dire need of some
> love went most smoothly when it was done by just adding oneself as a
> co-maintainer, not replacing the maintainer right away. This sends the
> message that you want to help with the package, but doesn't send the
> message that the current maintainer needs to go away.

  It's not only a dire need (we have NMUs for that), it's also that the
maintainer is known to be neglecting the package for long time. Adding
you as comaintainer also sends the message that the package _still_ has
a maintainer, which is probably not true anymore.

  Creating an nonexistent team doesn't help package, putting in charge
the one which wants to do the job seems more appropriate.

> Of course, if after a longer time the old maintainer still hasn't worked
> on the package, he can be removed from the maintainer list (and may agree
> to that if he sees that the new maintainer has done useful work).

  Given the salvaging conditions this must already have happened for the
package in question. The procedure itself adds more time, where the
usefulness of the work can be disputed even. If the end of salvaging is
reached there's really no point on keeping current maintainer.

  regards,
--
  Ricardo Mones
  ~