Re: Orphaning php-codesniffer, then take it over by the PHP PEAR team

On 12-05-30 at 02:49am, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> we'd like to see the latest version in Wheezy

OK, this request exists:

> We sent a mail 5 days ago to Jack Bates, and he didn't reply. It's
> currently obvious that there's very few chances that Jack Bates will
> upload a new version of php-codesniffer before Wheezy freezes.
>
> So, we'd like to have php-codesniffer orphaned, then taken over by us
> (eg: the PKG-PHP Pear team). Jack Bates would anyway be very welcome
> to join the team, and continue to do his packaging (we can add him to
> the Uploaders: list if he wishes), even after this procedure.
>
> So, if nobody objects within the next following 2 or 3 days, and if
> Jack doesn't show up and oppose to this procedure, we'll do that.

I object.

If the goal is to get php-codesniffer updated, then it is sufficient to follow
the NMU procedure.
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#nmu

If the goal is to take over php-codesniffer, then you'll need Jack Bates'
permission.  Or, I think that the QA Team occasionally orphans packages based
on objective criteria.  I'm not sure whether php-codesniffer currently matches
those criteria.

Regards,

Bart Martens