Re: Checks for urls in packages - extend lintian

On 05/19/12 02:39, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Fri, May 18, 2012 at 02:15:48PM +0200, Simon Kainz a écrit :
>>
>> I think it would be better to extend lintian to check for broken urls
>> (Homepage, VCS-Browser, Vcs-*).
>>
>> Is it okay if lintian needs network/internet access ( a patch is already
>> available checking for the Homepage field, using LWP) ?
>
> Dear Simon,
>
> I have a strong interest in the VCS URLs and volatile package metadata about
> package's upstream project such as the Homepage field.
>
> I have been building a system that uses the VCS fields to monitor
> machine-readable files (debian/upstream, debian/copyright) directly from the
> VCS where a source package is stored.  We use it in Debian Med and other Blends
> to provide bibliographic data to our users.  Andreas will report later our
> results in details.
>
> Currently we daily track packages that are part of Blends of interest, plus
> refresh the available data each time a package is uploaded to Sid.  Any package
> can be refreshed by simply visiting its contents in
> http://upstream-medatada.debian.net/ (except for a temporisation safeguard).
> You can have more details on debian/upstream and see the resulting pool at the
> following URLs.
>
>   http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamMetadata
>
>   http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/collab-qa/packages-metadata/
>
> If your proposition does not fit Lintian's design goals (as it has been
> suggested in this thread), would you like to use our platform to monitor the
> VCS fields ?  As a first step we could extend the gatherer to include the
> debian/control files as well, and then we could write some scripts, which would
> parse the VCS fields as provided by the Debian archive, check if they are
> correct, and if not, check if the packages-metadata repository provides correct
> data, indicating that the problem has been fixed in the package's VCS.
>
> Have a nice day,

Dear Charles,

I think this would be much better than what I am doing right now.
Extending lintian seemed logical to me at first, but considering all
thing to do.

Yes, i really would like to use your monitoring platform.  Currently I
interate over the list of VCS-* and Homepage entries and do some curl
magic and/or try the get the state of source repositories. The results
are then displayed in a list. So this more like the PTS, displaying
status data and not something people get notifed by.

Please let me know how I could integrate my checks with you monitoring
environment.

Regards,

Simon