Re: UDD broken for dde.debian.net

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 02:52:21PM +0200, Enrico Zini wrote:
> Hello,
>
> enrico@paganini:~$ psql -h localhost -U guest -p 5441 udd
> udd=> select description from all_packages limit 10;
> ERROR:  permission denied for relation all_packages

I just did:

  GRANT SELECT ON all_packages TO PUBLIC;

and commited the change to SVN.  I somehow have the impression that UDD
is in a bad maintenance state.  Since beginning of February we have code
which handles the new situation of description-less packages files in
SVN and it was discussed in detail here.  I was explicitely asking for
review here[1] but no response so far.  Last weekend I did it myself and
I even might have broken something because of uncommited and
undocumented manual changes in UDD code.

> It sounds like someone has forgotten a grant somewhere.

Should be fixed.

> Also, the long_description column seems to have disappeared from
> all_packages.

This was intentional because even the packages tables do not feature
this column any more.  I started the discussion about this here[2] and
the 2012-02 archive page[3] uncovers a lot of discussion about this
change.

> This is breaking the UDD plugin of dde.debian.net, which it seems people
> are using, and therefore I started to get pestered about it.
>
> Do you have some short explanation of what happened, and an ETA for it
> to be back, that I can tell people when they pester me?

I'd recommend fetching the descriptions from the descriptions table.

In some posting (to lazy to seek for it) I even suggested to hide the
change inside the actual tables by the view and make sure the view will
remain with a long_description column.  I'd regard this as the most
elegant way to keep other applications happy.  However, this was neither
commented nor did anybody felt any need to change the code accordingly.

I'm personally not using the view and I'll leave the decision to you
whether you want to adapt your application to the new table layout or
rather adapt the view.

BTW, I'm a bit concerned that it seems that there is nobody any more who
feels responsible for UDD in general and we have a lot of different
people plumbing on different places in UDD.  Thanks to Lucas we have a
really great tool but he obviosely drifted to some other tasks and I
think we are in urgent need of somebody who feels able to take over the
coordination.  (And to say it clearly:  I'm fine with helping in some
parts but I will not take over this role.)

Kind regards

       Andreas.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-qa/2012/03/msg00010.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-qa/2012/01/msg00078.html