Re: license of http://udd.debian.org/ data collection?

Quoting Stefano Zacchiroli (2012-12-16 10:08:56)
> [ Note: I think -qa would be a better place where to discuss this, as it
>   is the list where UDD development is happening. Setting M-F-T
>   accordingly. ]
>
> On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 12:27:29PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 7:03 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:'
> > > What is the license of the collection of data?
> > >
> > > Not the script to collect it (I do notice the GPL in the header of
> > > above referenced script), but the *database* of knowledge that is
> > > composed.
> >
> > Most of the stuff is from packages themselves. Debian packages are
> > under a number of different licenses, so the answer is "a collection
> > of various free (and or non-free) licenses, depending on the
> > package".
>
> If I understand correctly what Jonas is aiming at, that's not (yet) a
> satisfactory answer. The license of a collection of a data might very
> well be different than the license of the individual pieces of data
> itself. I'm not expert on database licensing, but the underlying
> intuition here is that there might be a creative effort in assemblying
> the data, and that _that_ creative act might be copyrightable and
> hence have a license in itself.

You are spot on.  And as usual (always?) you have this wonderful skill
of expressing amazingly clear - thanks!

> In the UDD case, the data collection is destroyed and recreated (with
> some minor exception, for the historical tables) at each database
> updated pulse. Hence the creativity is mostly captured by the scripts
> that do this job.
>
> Still, it is likely that in the future more and more people interested
> in UDD will ask "what is the license of the collection as opposed
> to...", as it is a topic of increasing interest together with the "big
> data" movement.
>
> It would be wise hence to have a proper data collection license
> associated to the UDD database. A popular one is ODBL
> http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/ . I suggest we license the
> _collection_ that way, also pointing to the sources creating the
> database, which will be under their own license.

I fully agree.  My previous reference (earlier in the thread than
represented above) indeed is part of that "big data" movement:

> It is now listed at
> http://datahub.io/dataset/debian-package-tracking-system - but
> annoyingly it is marked as " License Not Specified".

Perhaps the question to ask is more who can decide on a license - the
project or those harvesting (i.e. the person(s) writing the actual
script)?

Regards,

 - Jonas