Re: Some more bugs tables need to be exportet (Was: Any chance to pg_dump UDD partially)

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 09:53:38AM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > However, before I might move it effectively into action I would like to
> > stress that the change turns the udd-bugs.sql.gz from previousely less
> > than 10MB to 65MB (in other words more than 10% of a full dump).  Do you
> > think this is acceptable?
>
> Yes

Fine.  I'll implement this in the next couple of days.

> > BTW, I also tried xz compression which turns original 65MB into 35MB.  I
> > don't know about what you might care much - processing time at
> > udd.debian.org or bandwith - but may be that might be an option
> > (probably even more for udd.sql because more people might download
> > this.)  In case it helps deciding I might add the comparison of time
> > needed to compress using gz and xz.
>
> I don't really care about any of those, since the compression is only
> run once a day anyway. It probably makes sense to continue to use .gz as
> switching to .xz would require notifying users of the .gz file.

Assuming that the "users" of udd-bugs.sql are only users of the
according script clone_udd_bugs_fetch.sh switching the compression
method seems pretty cheap.  This might be different for general udd.sql.
So despite the inconsistency between the compression method of the
different data dumps I do not see any drawback in reducing the size by
close to 50%.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--