Re: Hijacking^W^W^W^W^W^WSalvaging packages for fun and profit: A proposal

Hi,

On 11.10.2012 07:50, Bart Martens wrote:
>> - the submitter of the "intent to orphan" bug must Cc
>>   debian-qa@lists.debian.org, and file the bug with severity:serious (this
>>   was part of the "criterias" proposal).
>   |  Anyone can mark a package as orphaned after the following steps have been
>   |  completed : Someone submits an "intent to orphan" (ITO) in the bts with an
>   |  explanation of why he/she thinks that the package needs a new maintainer.

I don't think "intend to orphan" (ITO) is a good name. First of all, it
is wrong, because if you file such a bug, you eventually don't want to
orphan a package, but quite the contrary revive its maintenance.
Moreover, its name suggests it would be a WNPP bug, which it isn't and
wouldn't be.

Aside I welcome Lucas and your initiative to move on with this
discussion. After all, I'm happy with any solution which finds
consensus, but I still don't like the DD seconding for the reasons
outlined before. At very least we could allow DMs to make votes too.
Eventually it's just some key in a keyring which is required to
authenticate people.

Some additional thoughts on the seconding:

*  can we really be sure that random developers flying by, care enough
to look into a package they may not care about, inspect its situation
and ack/nack? The whole new mechanism could be bypassed by feedback
timeout. Frankly, many packages which could be salvaged in future are
not on of these which draw much attraction.

* You cannot require a 3:1 majority without giving a time window to
raise objections. The way Bart proposed it in his draft, one couldn't
make sure a 3:1 majority is reached before 75% of *all* developers
agreed for the opened case. I don't think that's desired or realistic.

* How would you validate binding votes on a salvage process? You would
need to require to send signed mails to the list for seconding.
Otherwise we did not win anything over votes allowed by anyone.

--
with kind regards,
Arno Töll