Re: Hijacking^W^W^W^W^W^WSalvaging packages for fun and profit: A proposal

  Hi Arno,

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 11:25:45 +0200
Arno Töll <arno@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi Ricardo,
> (hi MIA folks, I assume  you are subscribed to -qa, but here is the
> start of the thread: [1])

  I believe we're all subscribed to qa, but thanks anyway :)

> On 28.09.2012 22:51, Ricardo Mones wrote:
> >   If the above criteria only apply to one package but the rest of
> >   maintainer's packages is being maintained, informing the MIA team
> > should be bypassed: maintainer is just neglecting a single package but
> > not MIA. And in fact there's little the MIA team can do with those
> > maintainers, so this procedure could be a nicer alternative.
>
> I assumed they prefer to be pinged for any case, where people suspect
> someone else being unresponsive with respect to package maintenance.
> That said, I didn't ask them. I'm CC-ing MIA folks and explicitly ask
> about their opinion on the proposal in general, and the MIA team part in
> particular.

  I don't see the usefulness in the case of a single neglected package.
  Fortunately these cases are rare, so to keep salvage procedure simpler
  maybe it's better to ping MIA always.

  But I'd prefer the ping as soon as possible. Eventually when a new ITS
  (Intent To Salvage) is created by reportbug set mia@ in Cc or Bcc.

> >   Otherwise the MIA team should be Cc-ed first, when reporting the bug:
> > the maintainer may be very likely MIA, I don't see a reason to wait
> > more. And if MIA team achieves a response quicker, the salvage procedure
> > bug can be fixed faster.
>
> As far as I know the MIA procedures (especially for members) take a very
> long time [2] because this may also include changes in the DM/DD
> keyrings. That's a situation I perfectly understand given they are
> really initiating a procedure which may eventually revoke archive upload
> rights. That's something which needs to be done careful and slowly.

  True, but I was thinking more on the case that maintainer ignores packages
  related mails (for whatever reason, but that would include the ITS bug),
  but is able to respond to the MIA pings and even acknowledge that probably
  leaving the package to others is better. These cases are not uncommon, and
  the salvage process would be even faster.

  In the case of unresponsive maintainers it's of course slower as you
  point out, but anyway the packages are orphaned much before any keyring
  change. With strict adherence to [2] that can happen in 75 days for DDs.
  If I did the math right salvage procedure lowers this to 42 days, so I
  think it's basically correct in this regard.

> [1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-qa/2012/09/msg00050.html
> [2] http://wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/MIATeam

  regards,
--
 Ricardo Mones, on behalf of Debian QA/MIA team
 http://people.debian.org/~mones