Re: Ubuntu Bug Fixing Initiatives

[ adding soc-coordination in the loop ]

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 03:44:35PM +0200, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> Hello everybody,

Hi Daniel, sorry for the terrible (vacation-induced :)) lag.

> in Ubuntu we recently started some Bug Fixing initiatives, where we
> tried to single out a number of bugs which are suitable for new
> contributors who are interested in giving back, but don't quite yet know
> where to start.

I'm very much interested in this topic. I've looked with a lot of
interest initiatives like LibreOffice's "easy hacks" and how effective
they could be in attracting new contributors. Also, related to this, in
the past we didn't manage to participate in initiatives like Google
Code-In due to the lack of such a list of "easy hacks". And for similar
reasons we don't have a presence on initiatives like OpenHatch as
effective as it could be.

I've seen you've already discussed briefly how to find "easy hacks"
based on specific Lintian tags. I haven't re-reviewed tags to name some
more (sorry about that), but I think it might be one way to go. Anyone
else on -qa has specific tags to propose for this initiative?

But I'm interested in considering other, even radically different
approach. In particular, I dream of social initiatives that can
encourage *people* (maintainers or not) tagging actual bugs in the BTS
as easy hacks.

In fact, we already have technical support for that. The pesudo tag
"gift" in devscripts' bts was introduced quite a while ago for this
specific reason [1,2]. But it has never really worked out, as you can
observe from the sorrow size of the "gifted" bugs list [3]. Maybe the
name we chose back then was not appropriate ("easy" might be better),
but truth is: we've never really find out how to socially promote this
enough, to turn gift-tagging into a social effort.

Maybe you can integrate that aspect in what you're trying to do?
Or, if anyone have any suggestion on how to turn gift-tagging into an
effective social initiative ... I'll be happy to hear!

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/GiftTag
[2] http://upsilon.cc/~zack/blog/posts/2008/08/PTS_integrated_with_mentors_and_gifts/
[3] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=debian-qa@lists.debian.org;tag=gift

Cheers.