Re: What to do with bug reports against non-existing/removed packages

On Mi, 13 iun 12, 07:44:46, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:
> > [private as I don't think it's relevant for -devel]

Moving to debian-qa (with Gergely's permission) and also CC'ing other
people that showed interest. Sorry if you receive this twice, I don't
know if you are subscribed to -qa or receiving mails via
unknown-package@qa.d.o

> > On Vi, 18 mai 12, 12:33:23, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> >>
> >> There are probably a few other corner cases, but as you can see, it's
> >> not simple. That's why the list is so long still. On and off, a few
> >> people (myself included) try to shorten a bit, and so far, it seems we
> >> can handle the newly misfiled bugs.
> >
> > While going through the list I've noticed #669628 and #660993 which are
> > quite recent cases of package name typos that slipped through. If you
> > need additional help with new bugs I would be willing to try.
>
> Whops! Not sure how they slipped through, good catch, thank you! As for
> help: it would be appreciated, but I think I can still catch most of the
> new ones, and going through the backlog would be much more useful (also
> a lot more work, and far more boring, indeed :().

Well, "given enough eyeballs all bugs are shallow" :) my offer still
stands.

> An additional problem with having multiple people watch new bugs, is
> that it's not easy to coordinate. Altough... if we were both on IRC, we
> could announce on #debian-qa when we're looking for new misfiled bugs,
> and/or paste a list of reassigned bugs to the channel, so we don't
> duplicate work.

IMHO this is (or not) an issue whether we talk about the backlog or the
new bugs. After the discussions on -devel I've started looking at the
bug list and yesterday I tried to take care of a few classes where I was
quite certain about a course of action.

It turns out that at least for the links-ssl bugs Manuel (in CC) has
done some work as well (but in at least one case my new prod helped and
the maintainer took care of a lot of them, phew), so IMHO:

New bugs
--------
Looking at the bugs filed against 'general' I didn't see too many
conflicts. Since all actions are reversible (even closing), I think
having more people deal with them can only help in case someone is
inactive or VAC or whatever.

Old bugs
--------
As my experience shows these do need some coordination, otherwise we
risk pissing of maintainers with repeated un-coordinated prods. One tool
could be a wiki page by classes/sub-classes of bugs, with recommended
action, who is dealing with them, etc.

> >> Any help with getting the backlog down to a much smaller number would be
> >> greatly appreciated. Updating the wiki[1] with guidelines and HOWTOs on
> >> how to handle specific cases would also be desirable, and I'm happy to
> >> help with either.
> >>
> >>  [1]: http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/unknown-package/TODO
> >
> > It is unclear to me from that page who is 'we'. Subscribers of
> > debian-qa, #debian-qa or some dedicated team handling these bugs? More
> > important, whom do I contact (besides unknown-package@qa.d.o) for
> > coordination?
>
> We, as in everyone interested. As for who to contact: debian-qa@. I do
> not know who unknown-package@ is sent to (it's not sent to
> me). Alternatively, which might be faster, #debian-qa on IRC.

Ok, I agree -qa (list and IRC) is a good place for discussion, but I
still don't know who gets reports of new bugs and how do I get on the
list/alias/etc. :p

BTW, if we consider Zack's "aliases considered harmful" theory, wouldn't
it be better to simply direct these bugs to -qa@? What is
unknown-package@qa.d.o actually used for?

Kind regards,
Andrei