Re: Checks for urls in packages - extend lintian

On 05/18/12 23:27, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Simon Kainz <simon@familiekainz.at> writes:
>
>> After thinking about some time how to find/fix broken links in
>> package descriptions, i came up with the following idea:
>
>> I think it would be better to extend lintian to check for broken
>> urls (Homepage, VCS-Browser, Vcs-*).
>
>> Is it okay if lintian needs network/internet access ( a patch is
>> already available checking for the Homepage field, using LWP) ?
>
> One of the design principles of Lintian is that if you run the same
> version of Lintian on the same package, you should always get the
> same results.  The results won't vary over time.  We rely on this
> for lintian.d.o, for example, and never regenerate checks for a
> package unless the package or Lintian have changed.

ok, good point. I didn't want to inject unnecessary dependencies - also
this should not hinder development.

> That said, one of the things that we (well, mostly Niels, as I've not
> had time to work on Lintian in quite a while) have been working on is
> making it easier to add pluggable modules to Lintian.  That means
> that if you find the Lintian framework helpful, you could potentially
> implement the check as a plugin to Lintian and use the Lintian
> infrastructure.  But it wouldn't be something that we'd turn on by
> default in Lintian due to the above design principle (even apart from
> the issue of requiring network access).

Yes, I fully agree with that. Problem still is, if this is something one
has to specifically activate, i'm pretty sure only very few people will
actually run this check. I thought about this check notifying with
Severity:  "minor" and Certainty "possible" or "wild-guess" to show that
this is more a "maybe take a look and fix it, unless you are offline"
issue or so...

Regards,

Simon