Interoperability with forges - Was: Re: DEP-2: Debian Package Maintenance Hub

Hi.

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 09:18:20 +0100, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jan 2012, Charles Plessy wrote:
>
> > Lastly, perhaps the DEP can discuss brifely why a new development is necessary,
> > compared to using or extending existing tools, such as Launchpad or other
> > forges.
>
> Do you feel like suggesting a text for this? To me it seems obvious that
> there's not much in common with Launchpad or a forge and that we're
> building an infrastructure tailored to the very specific use case of the
> Debian project.

Since alioth is used by quite a lot of Debian teams of individual
maintainers, it seems to me that it would be great if the new system and
alioth projects could be integrated somehow.

If we consider Continuous Integration scenari, for instance, it would be
great to have the possibility to build and prepare packages from alioth
projects, and run tests before being able to upload them.

Of course, SSO would be a plus between both tools.

Also, reusing existing solutions to avoid having to develop some
low-level components.

I think the code of FusionForge is a bit too old to be reused
efficiently, though.

LaunchPad seems to closed to me too.

Maybe Allura [0], the new AGPL software used by SourceForge could be a
candidate, as it seems much more modern, Python based, and seems to have
been developped with performance / distribution constraints in mind.

It seems to be quite modular, but I haven't been able to conduct a
thoroughful enough study of it.

Will provide other comments in separate emails.

Best regards,

[0] http://sourceforge.net/p/allura/wiki/Allura%20Wiki/

--
Olivier BERGER