Re: Description-less packages file

Hi Stuart,

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 04:07:07PM +0000, Stuart Prescott wrote:

> I volunteered the other day to look at incorporating Description-md5 into
> UDD and the attached patch deals with this change in the packages tables. I
> think it is ready to apply to UDD right now as a pre-requisite to fixing the
> ddtp gatherer (I applied it to my local UDD a week or so ago); unless anyone
> has any comments on it, I guess I'll commit it to svn soon.

Cool.  I'll be offline tomorrow but could do a review of your work while
travelling which would be perfect for my schedule.

> > I have written the UDD importer for DDTP descriptions and noticed
> > that the location where I was drawing the dscriptions from are not
> > featuring the English version.  Any hint were to get these?
>
> Sure -- there's a i18n/Translation-en file in the same location as the other
> translations on the mirrors. That file is in the same format, mapping
> Description-md5 to the English version of the description.

Right, I was specifically caring for the md5 sums which were included in
the Translations_udd dir which was specifically prepared for the UDD
importer by Grisu.  If the English version is featuring this I'd be more
than happy.

> The Description-md5 that is in the Packages and Translation files and the
> values that UDD has been calculating from description and long_description
> for the ddtp table are identical which should make it easier to adapt to the
> new setup -- much of the work done by the ddtp gatherer is now done by dak
> instead which in the long run should make the gatherer much simpler.

Yes.  I reall ylove this change because it makes everything much more
consistent.

> Finding the English long-description for a package will now need to be done
> with a join against the ddtp table. For UDD users that just want the English
> text, this is a little more work, but for ddtp, I suspect this will actually
> be a lot easier because everything is in the same table.

ACK

> Are you happy to take on fixing the ddtp gatherer and whatever is using this
> table? (I think you're in a better position to do so than I am)

While I do not know that I have some specific position compared to
others in the QA team (we are all equals, right)  I'd happily care for
this as soon as possible.

Many thanks for the patch

      Andreas.

--