Re: DEP-2: Debian Package Maintenance Hub

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 07:49:40AM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> PPS for Zack: I have extended the document since the version that you
> reviewed.

Thanks.  In the current form it completely addresses my concerns, still
without completely sacrificing the commitment part which is mentioned as
a sort of use case.

> ### Using a modern framework for web development
>
> DDPO is implemented in PHP. The PTS uses a mix of Perl, Python, XSLT and
> shell scripts. While both works very well and are reliable, we can do much
> better by using a modern framework for web development (starting with
> internationalization of the web interface).

I suggest to add another important motivation for reimplementation here:
currently finding people able to hack on the PTS, DDPO, or ideally
*both* of them is very hard because the skill set is very large. Also,
some technology choices tend to scare away many people (e.g. XSLT).
Rewrite in something like Python + Django is likely to enlarge a lot the
set of potential hackers for DPMH, making it easier maintenance in the
long term.

Last but not least, using a web framework with proper content / template
separation should also make it easier to maintain the look and feel
coherent with other Debian web sites (we all know that it's not always
as simple as "just change the CSS").

Cheers.